NYS HOMEOWNER ASSISTANCE FUND
If you’re a homeowner who was financially impacted by COVID-19 and behind on housing payments, help is available. Beginning on Monday, January 3, New York State will begin accepting applications for the Homeowner Assistance Fund (NYS HAF).
Through NYS HAF, eligible residents can apply for up to $50,000 in assistance, and can be connected with other services and supports aimed at keeping New Yorkers in their homes.
In order to be eligible for NYS HAF, a homeowner must be:
- Behind or in forbearance on their mortgage;
- In default on a reverse mortgage;
- Behind on property taxes, water, or sewer bills;
- Behind on monthly maintenance charges of your co-op or condo; or
- Behind on chattel loans, retail installment contracts, or other types of home purchase loans and/or lot rent.
For more information on the NYS HAF, eligibility requirements, and a list of documents needed to apply, please visit https://www.nyhomeownerfund.org/
If you have questions about the program, you can call 1-844-77-NYHAF (1-844-776-9423) Monday-Friday from 9:00am until 5:00pm. Hours will be extended when applications open.
Funds are limited and will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis. If you meet the eligibility requirements, do not hesitate to apply when the program begins on January 3.